Pretty in Pink

Thursday, February 01, 2007

The Oscars are coming...

So Beth and I decided that we are going to be prepared to watch the Oscars this year. Meaning, we are going to try to see all of the movies nominated. Okay, maybe not all, but definitely most. I set Beth straight to work on making a spreadsheet, which she did. There are 22 movies on her list. I'm pretty sure she only included the movies that had nominations in the big categories.

We still have quite a few movies to see, but we're slowly knocking them off our list. I have seen 9 so far. That only leaves 13 left to go :) I think we'll probably ignore some of them. And some, we won't have a chance to see because they are out of theaters already and won't be out on DVD in time.

The movie that I'm going to tell you all about today is the one that I saw today... Blood Diamond.

Now, this is not my kind of movie at all. There was a lot of blood and killing. I had to cover my eyes right at the beginning when some guy got his hand chopped off by the crazy R.U.F. However, in the end, the movie totally redeemed itself for me. It's not one that I would watch again, but I thought the movie was very well done.

Blood Diamond is up for two of the big awards on Oscar night. Actor in a Leading Role (Leonardo DiCaprio) and Actor in a Supporting Role (Djimon Hounsou). I am not a big fan of Leo, but I actually thought he did pretty well in this role. I'm not sure I'd give him the Academy Award for this performance, but I think he deserved the nomination.

Djimon Hounsou, on the other hand, not only deserved the nomination, but should take home the Oscar. He was incredible! He just made the character so real. I cried with him rather than cried for him. It was a truly great performance.
Beth says that he's a long shot, and that's probably true... But in my eyes, his portrayal of this broken man who disparately wants to find his family is one of the best of the year.

Today's Tidbit: I really hate paying bills...

2 Comments:

At 10:57 AM, Blogger Joel said...

Ah, the Oscars. I've only managed to see 2 of the movies that have been nominated for anything this year (Cars and Pirates 2).

I'm not a Leo fan either, but 2 of his movies this year did go on my list of movies to see (Blood Diamond and The Departed). I've always been impressed with Djimon Hounsou, after seeing him in Gladiator and Amistad.

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger Janet said...

Man, you need to get on it :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home