Pretty in Pink

Friday, March 16, 2007

Tales from a substitute teacher...

So first, my apologies to Greg (and everyone else)! Not only have I not blogged in forever, I haven't even read anyone else's blog in forever. Life is definitely a little crazy these days. I haven't been online much in the evenings, I haven't talked to friends on the phone much, and I haven't been frequenting my websites :(

This week, I was blessed to realize (yet again) how much I want to be a teacher. I subbed Monday for an 8th Grade Earth Science class at Willow Creek. I am not so much loving middle school, but it was a big deal for me to go to a school I haven't been at before. Tuesday brought about subbing for an art teacher at Riverside. I had one class not show up, that was cool. Haha :) It was a pretty good day though.

Then, on Wednesday and Thursday, I got to sub for my favorite classes EVER. And I do mean EVER! I was at Century subbing for the choir teacher. Man, I cannot say enough how much I love being there. I would like to recount how I ended up subbing there the first time. It was back on September 11th. I hadn't gotten a single subbing job to that point. I was a total wreck, completely freaking out. I remember that it was really late at night and I saw it pop up on the website. I was talking to Laura on MSN and I mentioned it to her. The job was only going to be from 9:00 to 10:30. She told me to suck it up and take it. That I'd have fun. And even if I didn't, I'd be home before lunch :)

Well, I obviously took it. I was really only there for Treble Choir. I got to meet Lucy (the student director of that choir) and talk to Laurie (the accompanist who used to be my piano teacher). I had a pretty good time. I realized that it wasn't too stressful because the teacher has student directors for all the choirs. So two days later, when I got called to go for the whole day, I went back.

It's weird to think about the first few times I subbed there. I would just sit in the choir office during open hours and read my book. I used to be able to finish a whole book in a day because there was so much open time. Now, I don't get any reading done :) During every open hour, there are kids in the room. I'm usually talking to them. I've had so much fun getting to know some of them and honestly, I think it's helping me with the whole being shy thing.

There is always something to laugh about. Katie and I have some good times in Panther Choir. "She took my lolli!" Oh man, good times :) And Lucy and I have gotten to have some great talks too. It's so much fun being back at the school that I went to. Next time, I might just have to bring my high school scrapbook. A few of them have had one of my friends from high school as an English teacher. I bet I have some good pictures of us :)

So yeah, that's why I haven't blogged in a while. But life is good. And I feel so blessed right now. Yay for subbing!

Today's Tidbit: I got to go to the Owatonna Choir Concert last night and it was amazing! Congrats to Laura, Matt, Amanda, Anna, Travis, and anyone else I'm missing :)

4 Comments:

At 12:48 AM, Blogger The Giesenator said...

I wish you were my subsititute teacher.

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger Greg said...

Maybe you could start an Earth Sciences Choir. You could sing about igneous rocks, and photosynthesis. Yeah, that'd be cool. Then you'd be the best teacher ever.

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Janet said...

Haha! Wait, are you saying I'm not already the best teacher ever? I'm crushed :P

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger A. Bauer said...

Speaking of choir....a friend of mine changed the words to the song "Not In Our Town" to make it about Ronald McDonald and our school janitor....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home