Pretty in Pink

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

All the drama!


I have decided that I really hate being a home-owner! I was sitting at home yesterday, minding my own business. I was babysitting Tucker, doing some laundry, watching the puppy, and just relaxing. I headed into the laundry room to get my clothes out and walked into standing water! The drain had completely backed up and the water was seeping out into my family room (aka, brand new carpet!) At this point, everything just went haywire!

I got on the phone, called my parents, who told me to call our plumber, who told me to call Rochester Drain-Rite. Beth whipped out the wet vac and started getting all the water up. At this point, Tucker started screaming... Apparently, he's not a big fan of vacuums! We got every towel that we own and started to try and sop up water from the carpet. My parents sent Matt into town with all the towels they could find at their house.

My plumber told me that if it was coming up from the floor drain, it had to be a sewer back up, not a plumbing issue. He then told me to be careful because the water was all really sewage. I got a hold of Steve at Rochester Drain-Rite and he came over. He was here for almost 4 hours trying to remedy the problem. Turns out, the sewer was backed up all the way out in the street and he couldn't fix it.

So, this morning around 7:30, we had a construction crew in our street. They closed off the road and dug up a huge hole to fix the sewer! All the neighbors were coming out and trying to figure out what the heck was going on. I have never experienced anything like this! I am so NOT looking forward to getting the bill for all of this!

Well, the problem was fixed and they patched the hole back up. I think they finally left around 3:00 this afternoon, maybe? I hope I never have that happen again, because it really sucked!




Today's Tidbit: Despite all of the drama yesterday and today, I had the best day today! I got a gift to help me with subbing from one of my swim parents, I got to have lunch with Sarah, and I talked to Ben when I brought my car in for an oil change. I had so many great discussions about God today, it made me really happy!

4 Comments:

At 8:56 AM, Blogger A. Bauer said...

I can just see your neighbors gawking at the big hole in the street....

That reminds me of the bomb stuff going on in Frost because the Bloomington Bomb Squad guys were digging holes in the backyard of that house, and they all had their hazmat suits on and whatnot. There were local guys just walking up on to the bomb squad guys digging holes and saying, "You need any help?"..."You need a flashlight?"...

 
At 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I told you the day would be good, didn't I? Yes. I did. Nice hole by the way. Did you ever call the insurance people, cus I think they need to know in like 24 hours or else your in trouble.

So how much of your basement was actually flooded by the way, you made it sound like it was all covered in 2 feet of sewage, but was it just kinda like the edge of the family room and the laundry room? Or was it mucho worse.

Keep it fresh, the sewage could ruin the freshness after all.

 
At 12:22 AM, Blogger The Giesenator said...

You forgot to mention that throughout that entire time you were texting nate.

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger Janet said...

True, I did forget that very important part. I'm so sorry!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home