Pretty in Pink

Friday, October 27, 2006

It's a small world...


Ok, so I think I may have completely lost my mind... I've spent the last two days subbing at John Adams Middle School. I really hated my middle school experience, so I'm not exactly sure why I decided to go back to the very school that led to so many scars in my life. Oh wait, yes I do, it's because I needed the money! Anyway, I happened to see a posting online that was for yesterday and today. I took it because it was two days with the same class and because the teacher was my high school art teacher.

I got to the school yesterday and found out that I'd be teaching 8th graders. I was a little panic-stricken. I thought they'd be the worst grade ever. I was so wrong! I loved it! At this point, I'm even thinking I might like to teach middle school. Wow, I never thought I would say that. The kids were a blast! My favorite part of the two days was probably sitting with them in Advisory today. It was "fun" day, so most of them were playing cards. I was talking to a few of the girls about my middle school memories, Myspace, and other random stuff.

I had so many kids in my classes that I knew for some reason or another. It reminded me how small the world is. Well, ok, so especially when you go back to work in the town you grew-up in :)

I had 4 kids that I knew from swimming. I also saw a few more swimmers wondering around in the halls, but I didn't actually have them in class.

Then, I had a girl who looked very familiar. I realized quickly that she was in Ms. Ogren's first grade class 7 years ago. That was my senior year in high school. I did my community mentorship with that class and spent almost every afternoon with them. I also knew her older sister from middle school.

Finally, I had Tessa in class. I used to babysit her, a LONG time ago. She has two older brothers and a twin brother. I babysat them quite a bit when I was in maybe 6th and 7th grade. So yeah, she was really little. She doesn't remember it at all, but it was fun to tell her stories about what her older brothers did. She saw Ryan, her twin, at lunch and told him to come up and say "hi" to me too. It was so much fun to see them again!

That's all I've got for now. I'm off to see my little ones swim in their first Novice Meet! How exciting!

Today's Tidbit: Kudos to everyone in the Owatonna Concert Choir & Symphony Orchestra. The concert was amazing and I had a blast! Gotta love last minute surprises, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home