Pretty in Pink

Thursday, September 06, 2007

First Day of School!

Today was the first day of Kindergarten. I got up this morning and got to go down to HR to sign my contract. It feels so good to have that all done and settled! I even got a new ID badge that says I teach at Bamber instead of having a sub one. It's quite exciting for me :)

Today flew by. We had a bus that was way late, so we lost about 15 minutes of our 150 minutes. That's 10%, that's a big number! Here's what we did today:

1:15 to 1:40 - Opening Routine
During our Opening today, I modeled what the Helper each day will do. The helper will have to take the milk count to the office every day, so we all walked down and met Lisa. Good times!
1:40 to 1:50 - Reviewed rules, learned the "Potty Sign," etc.
1:50 to 2:00 - Sing songs! Yay!
2:00 to 2:10 - Pass Oink Time
Oink is a stuffed pig that we named today as a class. We pass him around the circle and get to share something about ourselves. Only the person who's holding Oink is allowed to talk. Today we shared something we're excited about in Kindergarten!
2:10 to 2:20 - Story Time: "The Kissing Hand" by Audrey Penn
2:20 to 2:50 - Center Time
We had two assignments today during center time. They had to make a mini book that went with the story and we did an art project with our hand prints.
2:50 to 3:05 - Snack Time!
3:05 to 3:10 - Math Activity (I was a little rushed!)
3:10 to 3:20 - Pack up our things and get ready to go home
3:20 to 3:30 - Brave the crazyness that is bus lines. Ick!
3:30 to 8:16 - Ms. Youngers stays at school and WORKS!
8:16 to 8:24 - Drive to Whistle Binkies and talk to LUCY!!!
8:24 to 9:45 - Dinner (and drinks) with two other new teachers!
9:45 - Finally head home for the day!

Everything I need to know I learned in Kindergarten: Kids are flipping funny! One of the most adorable little girls ever wanted to take her milk home after snack. She drank about half of it, and normally I just have the kids dump it out and throw the carton away. I tried to tell her that it might spill in her backpack or get yucky, but she insisted that her mom told her to take it home and started crying. I found her a baggie and let her put it in her backpack. I e-mailed her mom tonight and she responded. She wants me to keep a record of my funny stories because she's sure I'll have plenty of them with my 16 five year-olds running around. I think she's probably right.

The Twins lost again last night. Grr.


Boyfriend of the Day: Torii Hunter


He was 2 for 3 with an RBI...

1 Comments:

At 12:01 AM, Blogger Sarah B. said...

Ok, that's hilarious! 150 minutes is not long enough! that's like only 2 1/2 hours. I don't see how you can get much learning done in that time!?! Oh, well I suppose that I was only at school for 2 1/2 hours when I was in kindergarten.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home